Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Mole

Sorry for the extremely late post, apparently when I thought I pressed publish post I just pressed preview, and never actually published it... -_-

Anyways, here's the lesson.
Today we learnt about moles!
And no, we aren't talking about the moles that are cute furry little creatures that live in the ground.
And no...we aren't talking about the little bumps on your face (that sometimes sprout hair. Yum).
A mole is a unit, just like m, km, g, L, etc. Pretty simple, right?

Here's a great video on the mole being a unit. Skip to about 0:30 to get the actual song!
A Mole is a Unit
It's pretty catchy if I do say so myself...that's going on my Ipod.

Now who came up with the mole? A man named Avogadro came up with it, and he also came up with a hypothesis and a number.
This man right here is Amedeo Avogadro.
His hypothesis was that two equal volumes of gas, at the same temperature and pressure, contain the same number of molecules.
If they have the same number of particles, the mass ratio is due to the mass of the particles.









Avogadro's Number:
The number of particles in 1 mole of any amount of substance is...

Now you may be thinking. WHAT? How am I supposed to memorize such a big number!?
It's actually a lot easier then you may think!
The mole is extremely important to chemists because it allows them to count atoms.

Here's another video on Mole Day!
Both of these songs I've posted are actually really helpful! Hahah I really like this one..





Too bad we already missed mole day. :'(






No comments:

Post a Comment